Built 1886 by Peter Munshaw
170 Purdy Street
Apparently Aaron Munshaw got into some financial difficulties, so to save Munshaw Hotel in Flesherton from creditors; he transferred ownership to his nephew Peter. According to family legend, when the difficulties were over, Peter was reluctant to return the property. Uncle Aaron resolved the problem by providing money for Peter to acquire Plan 20, Lot 21 of Mill Reserve 4 (crown deed 1873 owned by A. Purdy) & build his own hotel in what was at that time the prosperous community of Eugenia (named for Eugenie, wife of Napoleon III). Peter operated the hotel until his death in 1941 - during boom years when William Hogg’s interest in water power eventually led to construction of the dam and generating plant that created Lake Eugenia, and also during lean times when prohibition rendered the lovely mahogany bar all but useless. After 1946, the building operated as a rest home. Mid ‘60s owner Wayne Wickens tried to restore the building as a hotel/hostel for skiers in nearby Kimberley, but Grey was still “dry”, and ski-clientele wanted a place to party. Since 1974, the building has been a private home.
Queen Anne Eclectic is almost an understatement in describing this unique building. A simple two-story gable-roof structure with attic rooms is greatly enhanced by gabled balconies off-set on each side, and just for good measure, another angled on the corner. Predominately of red brick, windows and doors are all accented by segmented buff brick voussoirs with a keystone, and the north end gable peak sports a whimsical checkerboard pattern. The dynamic brickwork is almost overshadowed by the decorative woodwork: gorgeous gingerbread, ornate railings, and fine examples of intricate cedar shingles in diamond and fish-scale pattern. The corner turret, reputedly an addition, likely appeared during 1895 repairs, but is in keeping with the general style. Although many interior elements have been lost; the original staircase with cherry newel posts and ash paneling remain, as does the 9’ high ash “back bar” with mirrors that displayed bottles of liquor and other saloon items.
The hotel was a gathering place for villagers and a stopping place for travellers. In the 1890’s William Hogg was doing early experiments with generating hydro power. Sir Adam Beck likely stayed here to consult with Hogg, then later to oversee construction of the Eugenia generating station. This dominant heritage building in the still thriving hamlet of Eugenia is greatly in need of repairs & the present owner is wishing to sell it to someone interested in restoration.
Not yet but HGH deems the building worthy of designation before or after renovation.