Built c.1900 by C.J. Sproule
338 Mill street
Feversham, originally named Hungry Hollow, was founded by Edward Horton (1812–1864). Horton came to Osprey Township in 1853 and acquired 500 acres in the area where Feversham now stands. As the town grew around the dam and the mill which Horton established on his property, he subdivided some of his property into village building lots. In 1864 the hillside property (Plan 217, lot 17) was registered to John Sproule, Canadian born son to Irish immigrant James Sproule of Osprey. According to “Split Rail Country”, from 1850-1856 John Sproule was the first postmaster of “Artemesia Corners” (now Flesherton). He then was appointed treasurer to Osprey Township Council in 1859. Although it appears he made his his home in Osprey, John Sproule owned and operated a large mercantile business in Flesherton. His twin brother Dr. T.S. Sproule was an influential resident of Markdale. So it is safe to assume that when C.J. Sproule built the house at the turn of the century, he was a relative of this large family. Over the years, the home has changed hands many times.
Many fine Regency Cottages are found in Grey County, but this style is quite rare in what is now Grey Highlands. Hillside House, so named because it sits on a hill, is a square bungalow with center-hall plan and a gently sloped hip roof. The essentially plain structure is enhanced by the use of white paint along the four lowest courses of brick as well as to create an interesting frieze across the window tops. The large covered porch which mirrors the shape and slope of the roof and also features white decorative railings and Gothic gingerbread adds greatly to the overall charm of the building.