Established c. 1855
Land donated by Edward Horton
(near) 494249 Grey Rd 2 at John St
This small cemetery, similar to those found in many pioneering communities, is no longer in use. The heritage grave stones which were scattered about the site in pieces have been matched as best as could be and then embedded in concrete. The condition of all stone facings is poor and in urgent need of restoration. Edward Horton is buried here. Other names on headstones include: Vanmeer, Bowes, Cameron, Hudson, Elliott, McGirr. (More graves information: page 408, Osprey History Book).
The historic importance of this site is the link with early pioneer and visionary Edward Horton, the founder of Feversham. Edward Horton was born near Brockville Ontario, January 30, 1812. In 1850 he obtained lots 16, 17, 18 Concession 9-10 from the crown and by 1853 had cleared the land. In 1857 he received permission from Osprey Township Council to have part of his property subdivided into village lots along the Beaver River to create a settlement called Hungry Hollow (later changed to Feversham). Land for the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches as well as for a school and the cemetery were donated to the growing community. Horton had a dam built to harness water power for a saw mill, which was followed later by a grist mill. Edward Horton died January 15, 1864 at the age of 52 and was interred in the Methodist Cemetery. In 2012, as part of a week-long event celebrating the 200th anniversary of Edward Horton’s birth, a memorial plaque was placed there in his honor.