salvation army barracks/
Built 1903 by Salvation Army
315 Mill Bridge Rd
The Salvation Army was founded in 1865 by William Booth, who broke away from the Methodist Church to minister to the poorest social outcasts in London’s East End i.e. Alcoholics, morphine addicts, prostitutes and other "undesirables" unwelcome in polite Christian society. The organization was modeled after the military, hence Booth was the General, ministers were officers, members were soldiers and the “church meeting hall” was called a barracks. In 1880 the Salvation Army expanded into North America, but often these “official officers” found a Salvation Army post already established by immigrants. Opposition to the movement was largely from owners of pubs and saloons whose livelihood was threatened by the Army’s strong support of alcoholic temperance.
An early Osprey “Salvationist” named Crawford donated land and money to an itinerant preacher who failed to attract members to his church. When the minister left, the Army took over the building. The Feversham Corps was formed Feb 6, 1886, the first Barracks was built in 1889 on Lot 15, Conc. 9 and by 1900 the corps had 50 members. When McGirr’s Hotel burned down in 1901, the town site was acquired for a new Salvation Army barracks, built in 1903 using volunteer labor and partially paid for with money raised at bake sales and 25¢ dinners catered by women members. Although the corps closed in 1921, the Feversham Barracks remained a Salvation Army Outpost until the closing service March 1995. Now Osprey Museum, the building is still used for a variety of community-based purposes.
Built of local white brick made in Proton, the simple gabled structure with a covered vestibule is typical of small-town “church meeting houses”. Red brick defines the base and corners and greatly enhances the rounded windows. Foundation stones from the nearby Beaver River were drawn to the site by horses.
Within the local community, the corps held weekly meetings, ran a Sunday school and hosted various social functions. Many Feversham Corps members went further afield to minister in hospitals, shelters and alcoholic centers or to assume Army administrative posts in Canada, at the UK headquarters and also Asia.