south line union
269202 South Line
The monument to Ira Badgero (son of Philip Badgero, an early hotel owner for whom the community of Snow Drift was re-named) states that Ira who died February 8, 1854 was the first burial in this cemetery. This likely refers to the first burial after the site was officially dedicated since records show that at least five others precede that date: Fifteen-year-old Lucinda Tupper (interred in Block C Plot 17 of the Old Cemetery 1849) was the first actual burial on the site. Elizabeth McKenzie and Neil McKinnon followed in 1852; then John Kyle and Donald McDonald in 1853. There are several stones that are unreadable in the cemetery but the names (prior 1854) are documented. For a complete listing of burials see Peace & Plenty, History of Osprey Township: pages 447-486.
Of four donations of land, the original land on top of the hill was donated by Philip Badgero (AKA Badgerow) prior to the first burial of 1849. When the cemetery was expanded in 1941, Lewis O. Moore gave the east extension receiving 6 plots as payment, Chester Miller gave the south extension receiving 2 plots as payment and Norman Priddle received 2 plots for the west extension.
The hilltop, which offers scenic views, is dominated by an impressive war memorial erected after WWI. This still active burial ground is an integral landmark of great social importance to the small rural hamlet of Badjeros.